Wednesday 14 March 2007

Some random thoughts on Orwell's 1984

Now as you may know, I'm not an avid reader and I truthfully and wholeheartedly believe that the vast majority of books now in print are shameful communistic attempts to brainwash unwary Americans.
But recently I was persuaded by a confirmed anti communist all American patriot, whom I had met through my membership of the Jail Cindy Sheehan coalition, to read Mr George Orwell's much vaunted vision of the future.

Having read the book day and night for the last six months and only just this morning finishing it; I have to say what a magnificent piece of work it was.
For those of my readers who have not yet read Mr Orwell's classic masterpiece, I shall try to give you a brief flavour of his fantastic morality tale.
So maybe one day we can achieve the society Mr Orwell called for, and I believe, we all deserve.

The book is primarily about a traitorous piece of commie scum called Winston something or other. Who, even though he lives in an ideal state, takes it upon himself to become a filthy "Thought" terrorist.
The ungrateful Smith then starts to not only question the nations super efficient system of government but also most disgracefully of all he begins to question his beloved leader and all this in a time of war against an implacable eastern enemy.

But all is not lost because with marvellous foresight the ever paternalistic government had been watching every single citizen and carefully monitoring all seditious conversations.
This results in the treacherous son of a bitch eventually being caught in a beautifully crafted sting operation, and rightfully brought to justice for his heinous crimes.

This Winston character was then "questioned" (with what I thought were some fantastically inventive techniques) until like all cowardly terrorists he cracked and gave up his guilty colleagues.
The book ends with a repentant Terrorist who is, after some retraining in the ideals of the nation, then allowed to rejoin decent civilized society.
Even though I found the ending of the book objectionable, because I believe they should have shot him as soon as he confessed to his ghastly crimes, I would heartily recommend Mr Orwell's fine vision of a utopia nearly spoiled by one bad apple, and pray that our future paradise doesn't fall prey to a similar act of filthy sedition

No comments: